.: The Multi-Williams project
Completed September 22nd, 2003


It started when I picked up an empty Sinistar cabinet for $30 in August 2003 to use for a Multi-Williams cabinet.  The cabinet was in good shape, solid, and no water damage, however it had been converted to a Konami Kicker.

Pics of the cabinet when I bought it:

The cabinet with painted black sides and generic sideart.

The original Sinistar buttons were reused in the conversion.

A bit of the original sideart peeking through the black paint.


The Cabinet

After the sideart was peeled off, the black paint came off fairly easily with Goof-Off and a scrub brush.  The original Sinistar sideart appears to be in pretty good shape under the black paint, but the original black needs to be touched up in a few places:


This is what I did to save the original sideart while repainting the sides with a fresh coat of black enamel...  I had a few sheets of 10mil lexan film left over from a failed printing experiment, so I laid them over the sides and traced the artwork with a razor.  Next I took the lexan cutouts and sprayed some contact adhesive (3M Super 77) and on the backside of the lexan (just around the edges) and let it dry until it was just a little tacky.  After the adhesive dried a bit, I placed the lexan pieces over the sideart and used a hard roller to squeeze out the air bubbles around the edges.  I taped the t-molding so it wouldn't get any paint drips on it.  Then I just used a foam roller and painted the whole side of the cabinet.  When the paint dried, I used a pocket knife to slip under the edge of the lexan and pulled it up.  Worked like a charm!

Lexan film applied

Fresh paint rolled on the sides

Completed side


The Control Panel

I rebuilt the Sinistar control panel by removing the original, converted top piece and constructed a new one from plywood and a sheet of acrylic (Plexiglas).  I reused the original Sinistar buttons and added a couple more translucent leaf switch buttons that I had.  The joysticks are Wico 8-way leaf joysticks.

Basic control panel with holes drilled and recesses for tee-nuts and joystick dust covers routed out.

Side view of control panel.  The top surface of the control panel was recessed for the thickness of the acrylic top.

Close-up of routed tee-nuts and recess for joystick dust covers.

Plexi (shown with protective paper) routed and screws countersunk

Photo of screw countersinks

Test fit of controls before overlay is applied.

Controls and lamps wired

Controls and lamps wired

Testing the lamps

Overlay applied

Overlay applied


Multi-Williams parts and artwork

Joust boardset and Williams Multigame kit

Close-up of Williams Multigame kit

Multigame overlay and marquee

Close-up of marquee

Close-up of overlay

Jamma loom I made for the boards (shown not terminated to a fingerboard yet).


Finished Cabinet 


Project Thanks

Thanks to the following:

- Clay Cowgill (www.multigame.com) for the fantastic Williams Multigame kit.
- Darin at www.phoenixarcade.com for the artwork, it really puts the finishing touch on the project.
- http://www.robotron-2084.co.uk for all the info on making a jamma loom for the project.
- The members at www.arcadecontrols.com for all the comments and following my progress with this project.





Oscar Controls, L.L.C.
general information :: Email for information
order/sales information :: Email Sales